You are here

Finding Funding to Develop Hazard Mitigation Action Plans

To pursue most Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) grants, the applicant must have a FEMA-approved Hazard Mitigation Action Plan (HMAP). This plan is also referred to as a “Local Mitigation Plan”, “Local Mitigation Action Plan”, and “Mitigation Plan”. Multiple names are used to describe the same plan that must be approved by FEMA.

Freese and Nichols recently assisted two clients in obtaining a FEMA grant to develop HMAPs: Little Elm and Trophy Club. Our team is working with these clients to mitigate the impacts of natural disasters before they happen. Once these plans are approved by FEMA, the implementation of the recommended strategies will provide additional safeguards for these towns. In addition, these towns should sustain fewer damages following future natural disasters. The plans will open the door for these towns to pursue other FEMA funding for projects, including some of the recommended strategies in the plans.

If you would like to learn more about the benefits of safeguarding your community against natural disasters and pursuing FEMA funding to assist in that effort, please contact Jill Trevino.

Subscribe to our Blogs