Freese and Nichols’ investigative demolition of the City of Mineola’s historic train depot, modernized in 1955, led to the discovery of a “building within a building” and the eventual restoration of the facility to its early 1900s appearance and structure. Our project team discovered that the 50s-era structure encapsulated the original depot, leaving valuable clues for meeting restoration requirements outlined by the Texas Historical Commission.
No plans of the original building existed and only two archival photographs could be found; however, through continuing investigation and research, the project team prepared forensic as-built drawings to relocate original window and door openings, match original brick detailing, and place brackets, spacing and connections that marked the original hip roof and canopy. Freese and Nichols also replaced damaged brick with a close match in texture and color, as well as painting the masonry to match the 40s-era paint color found during partial demolition. The restored 2,500-square-foot depot is a key component of Mineola’s downtown revitalization and houses a transportation museum. Freese and Nichols phased construction plan kept the working multi-modal facility open throughout the renovation.