Across Texas, Damage Reports are Crucial Step Toward Recovery Funding

image description

Mark Evans

Funding Specialist

Utilities and other public entities across Texas are being asked to assess and report damages from the February winter storms to help the state obtain disaster recovery funding from the federal government.

The federal major disaster declaration covers all 254 Texas counties and has triggered financial aid from the FEMA Public Assistance (PA) program, Category B (emergency protective measures). The more damage that local entities report, the more funding will become available by opening new FEMA PA avenues such as Categories C-G, permanent work to repair and restore.

How to Get Approved for Public Assistance

Local entities need to submit their disaster summary outlines (DSOs) to the Texas Department of Emergency Management (TDEM) as soon as possible. Once the state and counties have met FEMA’s damage thresholds, additional PA categories may become available.

Each entity must do the following:

  1. Submit a Disaster Summary Outline.
  2. Once your DSO is submitted, you can continue to update it as you identify more damage.
  3. Work with state emergency management officials to schedule joint preliminary damage assessments (PDAs) to validate damages.

You’re Approved; Now What?

State and local governments that have emergency protective needs should start the process immediately to request funds for government assistance.

  1. Submit a Request for Public Assistance (RPA)
  2. Attend an applicant briefing

Applicants are required to track their costs following FEMA’s Public Assistance Category B (emergency protective measures) policies.

You can find additional information and guidance of tracking disaster costs on the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) website.

Freese and Nichols is Here to Help

Disasters typically confront communities with unanticipated expenses, so recovery requires integrated services to effectively find and manage disaster recovery funding.

If you have any questions about funding or other available resources, contact Funding Specialist Mark Evans at or your Freese and Nichols client representative.

More Resources


image description

Mark Evans is a Funding Specialist based in San Marcos, Texas.