Camp Mabry Building 1 Restoration Highlighted in The Military Engineer
Restoring and renovating historic Building 1 at the Texas National Guard’s Camp Mabry posed multiple structural and architectural challenges because the 103-year-old facility had to be modernized without enlarging its footprint or damaging its fragile exterior.
As Freese and Nichols leaders of the project write in the November/December issue of The Military Engineer (the magazine of the Society of Military Engineers):
“Modernizing the structure with contemporary systems, including energy efficiencies, proved to be a ‘journey of discovery’ for the engineering, construction and other teams that spent four years on the project.”
The project is featured in the magazine’s issue focusing on Design & Construction.
Built in 1918, two-story Building 1 is a registered Texas Historical Landmark and was being adapted to serve as a command center for the Texas Adjutant General, commander of the Texas Military Department.
In “Preserving History at Camp Mabry,” Parris Jones, Architecture Lead Technical Professional, Misty Thomison, Structural Engineer, and Vimal Nair, Facilities Assistant Division Manager, write that “Finding solutions tested the teams’ expertise and ingenuity — and resulted in a remarkable renovation that preserved the vintage look and feel of Building 1 on the outside while providing a sleek, modern office environment within.”