FNI Team Produces WEF Pump Stations Manual, Its First Update Since 1993
A team of Freese and Nichols employees collaborated across 12 offices to produce a new manual for the Water Environment Federation (WEF) that will be used across the industry.
Design of Wastewater and Stormwater Pumping Stations Manual of Practice No. FD-4, Third Edition, is the first update since 1993 and highlights our firm’s national expertise related to the design of wastewater and stormwater pump stations.
The eight-chapter manual “was for the most part, a complete rewrite,” explained Robb Otey, Transmission and Utilities. “It wasn’t just an edit, because so much has changed over the last 30 years in the industry with SCADA instrumentation, screening process, as well as modeling aspects that came about with the computer age.
“This updated manual will be a great tool for the design engineer to utilize to provide a more efficient and cost-effective solution to improving the quality of our water and the protection of lives and property.”
This is our second recent WEF manual that we’ve helped develop; last year, a team from Freese and Nichols updated the Wastewater Collection Systems Management, WEF Manual of Practice No. 7.
To order a copy of the manual, the pre-sale page is now live on the WEF website.
About the Manual
- New tools for analyzing computational fluid dynamics and modeling.
- Additional parameters and scenarios to design, and addresses impacts on overall system.
- Discussion of larger stormwater pump station and impacts to coastal communities.
- Design considerations such minor losses and hydraulic considerations.
- Updated pipe materials, and electrical standards based on NFPA and IEEE.
- Options for the use of variable frequency drives
- Updated technology instrumentation and SCADA, screening technologies, odor control and hoist options.
Contributors from Freese and Nichols include: Jared Barber, Lewis Bernard, Jeremy Dixon, Jonathan Faughtenberry, Erin Flanagan, Scott Haberstroh, Jeff Hensley, Clay Herndon, Thomas Hill, Scott Hubley, Alan Hutson, Bryan Jann, Mazen Kawasmi, Charles Kucherka, Aubrey Monroe, Robb Otey, Rebecca Peters, Tony Pevec, Nick Prisco, Rebecca Sandoval, Trooper Smith, and Scott Vaughan.