Marc Miller Designated a Geotechnical Diplomate by the Academy of Geo-Professionals
Congratulations to Marc Miller, Water Resource Design, Atlanta, for being designated a Board-Certified Diplomate, Geotechnical Engineers (D.GE) by the Academy of Geo-Professionals (AGP).
Marc’s certification is considered one of the highest designations in the geotechnical profession. He is one of only 450 professional engineers worldwide, and the first at Freese and Nichols, who have been granted the D.GE board certification.
“I plan to use this recognition to be a champion for improved communication and effectiveness between geotechnical consultants and heavy civil design teams,” Marc said.
The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Board Certification is a post-license credential that recognizes advanced expertise in a technical field, superior experience, strong ethics, and a commitment to lifelong learning and continuing professional development. At a minimum, a Board-Certified professional must obtain:
- an engineering baccalaureate degree plus a Master’s degree or 30 additional credit hours of advance engineering courses in their specialty area;
- a professional engineering license (P.E.); and
- a minimum of 10 to 12 years of progressive experience in their field of expertise.
“As Freese and Nichols expands across the U.S. and pursues more federal and high-profile projects, national expertise is needed to remain competitive,” Marc said. “ASCE’s diplomate program provides an excellent opportunity for that recognition and improves our credibility when selling ourselves during pursuits.”
Since Marc joined Freese and Nichols in 2011, he’s been a leader in the geotechnical team of the Water Resources Design group. In addition to providing geotechnical support for numerous projects, he’s also served as a civil designer and project manager for a wide array of heavy civil projects. A few of Marc’s projects are highlighted below:
- Cedar Creek Reservoir Dam Evaluation & Modernization Project
Project Manager & Lead Geotechnical Engineer
- Sulphur River Basin Water Supply – Analysis of Wright Patman Lake Dam
Lead Geotechnical Engineer & Risk Analysis Team Member
- Bois D’Arc Lake Dam & Service Spillway
Geotechnical Engineer & Civil Designer
- Lake Shore Drive Escarpment Evaluation & Repairs
Lead Geotechnical Engineer
- Kee Branch Sanitary Sewer – Erosion & Emergency Slope Repair
Project Manager & Geotechnical Designer
Marc is a Vice President/Principal in the Atlanta office. He is a licensed Professional Engineer in nine states and is certified as an Engineer-of-Record by the State of Georgia’s Dam Safety Program.